SSG Is Now Providing NDIS Services
Is Osteopathy Covered By The National Disability Insurance scheme (NDIS)?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funds care and support for people with a lifelong, significant disability. At SSG, we offer Osteopathy and Exercise Rehabilitation for self-managed and planned NDIS Clients.
Our Osteopaths can help you achieve your health goals and to optimize your overall function for activities of daily living.
Which support/service category can we help you with?
Our services focus on the category of capacity building (improved health and wellbeing and improved daily living), which will support you to build your independence and skills.
What Do Osteopaths Treat?
Osteopaths can assist NDIS clients with goals associated with bodily movement, coordination, gait, strength, energy usage and in growing physical skills for activities of daily living.
Under NDIS, your Osteopath may also be able to assist you with musculoskeletal pain or injury prevention goals only when this is included in your approved support plan.
Osteopaths can treat a wide range of conditions and presentations. Some of these may impact your health goals and affect activities of daily living. This may include:
- Chronic Pain
- Postural issues
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Upper and lower limb injuries
- Back and neck pain
Osteopaths use a combination of manual therapy and exercise prescription and advice. During your treatment your Osteopath may use a combination of the following techniques.
- Soft tissue massage
- Joint articulation
- Manipulation (high velocity, lower amplitude)
- Exercise prescription
- Ergonomic and
- Postural advice
Are There Any Specific Osteopathic Treatments That Aren’t Covered?
The NDIS goal is to assist in building lasting independence for movement, participation, lifestyle activities and function. If your Osteopathic treatment is not directly assisting in achieving your goals outlined in your support plan it will not be covered under NDIS.
What Osteopathic services can be offered?
Osteopathic treatment is very specific to the individual. Your Osteopath will work with you to assist in achieving your goals. Your Osteopathic treatment may consist of;
- Manual therapy
- Individualised exercise programs
- Behavioural modifications
- Ergonomic modifications
- Home exercise programs
How Do I Claim Osteopathy Through The NDIS?
To claim Osteopathy services under NDIS you need to have an approved support plan. NDIS clients who self-manage an individualized funding package must consult their scheme case manager to determine if functional and therapeutic services provided by an osteopath can be paid for with package funds.
For self-managed NDIS clients who are seeking Osteopathic treatment to enhance your function for activities of daily living you will need to do the following:
- Bring a copy of your current NDIS support plan with you to your initial appointment
- Your Osteopath will write a letter to your case manager. This is to include a description of the therapeutic and functional approach that will be used to reach your plan goals.
- Your case manager and NDIS will work together to determine what services are ‘reasonable and necessary’ to manage your functional needs.
- The strategies an osteopath would use include manual therapy, exercise programs and therapeutic activities for you to perform at home (sometimes with a carer) to improve your function and participation in the community.
- Once the letter has been written, the osteopath will email it directly to your case manager or give you a copy to hand over to the case manager. The NDIS and your case manager will work with you to determine what services are ‘reasonable and necessary’ to manage your functional needs.
- Once this process is complete, your treatment plan is able to be started. Your Osteopath will continue to monitor your progress against your goals using both subjective feedback and patient reported outcome measures. We will also be in contact with your Local area coordinator and case manager with progress reports as required.
How Do I Book Osteopathy NDIS Services?
Once you have an approved support plan with NDIS and Osteopathic services have been determined appropriate to be funded you can book in for an NDIS Osteopathy appointment.
To book an initial NDIS assessment/treatment with one of our Osteopaths at SSG, you can book an appointment online HERE or call us at the clinics using the numbers listed below
Beaumaris Clinic – 03 9589 3777
Hampton Clinic – 03 9533 5536
St Kilda Clinic – 03 9593 6333